Because Twitter moves fast, here’s a permanent link of recommendations.
Note: These links are mainly book and writing focused, because that is the community this blog connects to.
- 10 Steps to Non-Optical Allyship (article)
- Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man (video) – Not actually uncomfortable. Questions you might be afraid to ask, answered without judgement.
- Trevor Noah Addresses George Floyd Death, Decries Police ‘Looting Black Bodies’ (Video plus transcript) – The best explanation of the ‘social contract’ and why this is happening now.
- My White Friend Asked Me on Facebook to Explain White Privilege. I Decided to Be Honest (article)
- The Monopoly Comparison (Video) by Kimberly Jones
- “So You Want To Talk About Race” by Ijeomo Oluo
- “How to Be an Antiracist” by Ibram X. Kendi
- “Hood Feminism: Notes From The Women That The Movement Forgot” by Mikki Kendall
- “Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- “Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race” by Reni Eddo-Lodge
Reading For Kids:
- 31 Children’s books to support conversations on race, racism and resistance
- Anti-Racism For Kids 101: Starting To Talk About Race
- 50 Board Books Featuring Faces of Color – For babies and toddlers
Support Black Writers and Bookshops:
- 23 Phenomenal Young Adult Books By Black Authors From The First Half Of 2020
- 20 YA Books By Black Authors We’re Excited To Read In The Latter Half Of 2020 – PREORDER
- 45 Black Young Adult Novels to add To Your TBR
- A thread of books by Black authors doing incredible work in adult SFF
- A thread of Black Booktubers to follow
- Subscribe to FIYAH Literary Magazine, or check out their book reviews online
- The Brown Bookshelf – Dedicated to Black authors
- The Bookshelf – Alaysia Jordan has a handy tool for hooking you up with books by marginalized writers
- Books Through Bars – Send books to incarcerated folk
- Black Owned Bookshops in the USA
- People of Color in Publishing – Support for publishing professionals of colour.
- We Need Diverse Books (WNDB) – Support for books and writers of colour. Accepting donations.
- Writing the Other – Online classes about how to get diversity right in your stories.
- Carl Brandon Society – Gives scholarships to BIPOC to attend writing workshops, as well gives out a SFF award. Accepting donations.
- The Bronx is Reading Festival – Accepting Donations
- Resources for Race, Equity, Anti-Racism, and Inclusion – A master list of organizations to support, reading lists, bookstores, and educational links. Updated and maintained by WNDB.
- Black Lives Matter Canada – Petitions, donation links. (Canada)
- Anti-Oppression Resources – Resources specific to BC. (Canada)
- 100+ Black Owned Etsy Shops
- Black Owned Businesses and Bloggers in Food
If you have any other links you think I should add, please let me know in the comments or through the contact form. I will keep this list updated.