This year was all about revisions. I’ve definitely felt the level-up speed bump. Well, more like a wall? Revisions on the Gothic novel have been as pleasant as pulling teeth: knowing I’m not quite there, but almost, but not knowing what “there” means.
I took the last week off (the child was sick so everyone was exhausted), and you know, I think it’s just what I needed. I’ve got an idea that won’t let go. Unfortunately this idea means that I’m going to have to start over with this round of revisions. So it goes! I believe it’s worth it.
I don’t know what to say about 2018, except that it felt like forever, and I felt nearly every possible emotion. I’m glad to put it behind me, but I’m taking a few lessons out of it too…
- It only takes one yes.
- Writing gets harder the more you know, not easier. The frustration means you have gotten better not worse.
- People do change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. You can’t predict it, and neither is it your fault.
- People will get used to you wearing bold lipstick.
- Every story takes it’s own time. You can’t force a breakthrough. You just need to trust that you will figure it out someday. Sometimes that means setting a story aside for weeks, days, years.
- There’s always more work if you’re looking for it. The hard part is making time for everything else.
- Happiness is something you have to keep fighting for, even if it means doing one small thing every day that makes you smile.
- Sometimes being brave feels an awful lot like being afraid all the time.
May your 2019 be better than the last year. To more adventures! I can’t wait to see what good things happen for you all 🙂
Four Days Trapped at Sea with Crypto’s Noveau Rich by Laurie Penny – Even if you aren’t into tech, read it for the writing alone. It’s simultaneously brilliant, funny, and horrifying.
- Blanca & Roja by Anna-Marie McLemore (YA)
- Flirting with Disaster by Victoria Dahl
- The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (YA)
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black (YA)
- From Twinkle with Love by Sandhya Menon (YA)
- Royals by Rachel Hawkins (YA)
- Roomies & The Proposal by Christina Lauren
- Geekerella by Ashley Poston (YA)
- City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab (MG)
- A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev
- A Change of Heart by Sonali Dev