Novels are beastly, unforgiving, things. They eat up weeks and months, and never seem to be done. Sometimes it’s a struggle to get to the end, and I wonder why we writers subject ourselves to such torture. Inspired by Wendig, here’s my version of this insanity.
- This is the best idea ever! I have to write this story. Madly brainstorm ideas and not-quite sentences.
- Maybe I should do some research before I dive into this. Two weeks, a month, of surfing the internet – It’s productive right? See, I have notes!
- Here goes! Lets start writing. (I’m actually utterly terrified, but I’m wearing my cheerful face on the outside).
- Wait, maybe I should outline this. + Two weeks of procrastination.
- Okay I have some words down. It doesn’t matter if the beginning sucks, I’ll rewrite it anyway… (I’m really starting to get nervous).
- I’m officially worried now. I may run out of story soon.
- AHHH now what? I’ve hit the vast empty middles. Um um, let me try throwing anything in there. Dragons? Giant squids? Help!
- It’s a miracle. I figured out an idea that fixes it all. This novel is brilliant. I am brilliant. Let me hug this shiny new idea.
- At least I know how this story ends, but man, it’s taking forever to get there.
- This is the worst story ever. I take back what I said. This story is terrible.
- Almost there! It’s a race to the end and who cares about grammar any more. I just want to be done.
- Can I say I’m done now? Maybe I’ll announce it on my blog, even though I’ve still got a chapter or two to go. Help me, this will never end.
- DONE DONE DONE! JOY!
- DESPAIR. The novel makes no sense. I bawl into my pillow at night.
- Don’t look at the book for months or a year depending on how terrified I am of it.
- Bite the bullet and start to think about edits. Edits are easier than writing another novel, right?
- Read a little. The story isn’t as bad as I remember…
- Read more… okay some parts are as bad as I remember… (Cry on the inside).
- Just go for it. Edit.
- Edit until RSI flares up.
- Take a break because work’s gone nuts and my body hates me. I may fall apart before this is done.
- Edit more. Are we there yet? This is taking longer than I wanted it to.
- AHHH I just had the idea for another novel, and that idea is shiny and new, and exciting, and brilliant, all the things this novel isn’t…
- More edits. Weeping and gnashing of teeth.
- Finish edits. Um… I guess its time for beta readers. (Utter terror)
Right now I’m at stage 23. This happens like clockwork. My brain’s already trying to escape this story, but there’s still a good chunk left to go. Madness!
Is it just me, or do you go through this too?