You are henceforth allowed:
- To write badly You can’t fix something that doesn’t exist and you are too close to the writing to measure its quality objectively.
- To ignore your emails for a day They’ll still be there tomorrow, I promise.
- To check off of Twitter for a while You don’t have to know everything that happens when it happens. All the crazy will still be there tomorrow, I promise you that too.
- To eat frozen pizza because you’re too tired to cook You can eat healthy tomorrow.
- To have hobbies that aren’t writing Everything informs the art.
- To take your time Enjoy having the time to get the words right. There’s no rush until you’re under contract, and then you’ll wish you could.
- To travel the world If you do it well, you’ll come back with a different perspective and a whole lot wiser.
- To take the time you need away from writing Because this is your life, and you must protect your health and sanity. Because you need to experience every moment and this is the only life you have. Because how can you write if you haven’t lived?
I hereby grant you permission, because as an adult I have been granted dubious the qualification to pronounce it so. Being a writer is tough, so you must be kind to yourself.
What would you add?