Writing a novel is…
- A roller coaster. Some days the words flow free, the story makes your blood rush and your heart beat quick. Other days it’s like paddling uphill. You can see the mountain of work rising ahead, and it’s scary.
- Like living two lives. The life on the page, that can sometimes feel just as real as the life away from it.
- A game of endurance. It will wear you down. It always takes more time than you think. When you’re in the thick of the writing, it seems like it will never be done, but every step is one step closer.
- Like hanging out with the best of friends. You watch your characters grow, suffer, change, and triumph along with them.
- A way to discover the best and worst about yourself.
- Being vulnerable. You open yourself up to criticism, rejection, and success.
- An act of faith. It’s jumping across a chasm, and not knowing how far it is to the other side.
- An act of love. It’s breathing life into your characters, creating worlds.
- A necessity. The story will not let you go, unless you let it out.
- One of the best things you’ve ever done.
What is it to you?