Some days I feel like the most boring writer in the world. There’s not much to update. I don’t write a lot of short fiction, so I’m lucky if I have one sale to announce in a year. The status is always just “Yes, I’m still writing.”
Still, looking back I’ve probably written almost 450k of words of fiction since 2010 when I first posted to this blog.
Here’s the laundry list:
- Trunked: An unnamed novel that shall never see the light of day. It was a mess that really was three different novels crammed into one. 8 months and 120k later, I set it aside. It couldn’t be salvaged. But one of the story lines, completely rewritten, turned into…
- Completed: A weird bloodpunk portal fantasy novel that got me into Viable Paradise. Its not perfect, but I’m proud of the story and hope it finds a home.
- First draft finished: A Mongolian historical fantasy. I’ve set it aside for now. I also need to do a lot more research and am not confident I have the writing chops to pull it off. I may tackle it after I finish the draft of my current work in progress…
- In-Progress: A YA fantasy (70% done the first draft). I don’t know what I feel about it yet, or if I’m any good at writing YA stories. I definitely need to give it some breathing room after I’m done the draft.
- 4 short stories, 2 of which have sold so far.
- 15 k words of serial fiction posted to this blog.
- 18k words of flash fiction posted to this blog.
That’s… more than I thought…
I realize that few people will ever see any of those words (maybe not for years). Still it’s comforting to think I’ve made some progress and learned quite a bit while I’ve been at it.
How’s your writing going these days?