Happy New Year! There are plenty of 2012 goal posts around, but I didn’t make any resolutions this year. I usually don’t. I make them throughout the year as needed, and reassess as needed. But now that the holidays are over, I’m getting back into the routine, and there are a few things I’d like to do differently this year.
- Write a minimum of 1k a weekday (10 minute outline, 50 minutes typing), 2k on Saturdays, and take Sundays off.
- Keep track of when, where, how productive I’ve been, to optimize my writing time.
- Get back to writing short stories and flash fiction. Since lunch was banned at our desks at work, my flash fiction career ended. It was very good practice though. I’ll designate some weekend time to short fiction, and weekdays to novel length work.
- I’ve always had trouble finding prompts for short stories, so I spent an afternoon jotting off a list of writing prompts framed as writing exercises. I plan to add at least one technique to the list every time I finish reading a novel or short story. I have 12 prompts, but several of the items on the list can be combined in one story and I need to come up with more. That means…
- I need to read more. I think I’ll be visiting the library more often this year. Instead of reading the (badly edited) free newspaper, I should have a novel or short story collection handy. I particularly need to read short fiction. I’ve always been fond of novels, but if I want to write short, I need to be more familiar with the form.
Those are the big things I think. Oh yes, and to get back to eating well and exercising. You know, the usual stuff.
Are you trying some things differently?