I think this list is better than a progress bar, but be warned, this is the stuff that actually goes on in my head.
Well here goes, I’m going to write a novel!
- OH what a shiny new idea! No one’s ever thought of this before. I have to write it!
- Hrm, this is harder than I thought. I’m halfway into this story and I have no idea what comes next.
- Am I done yet? *soft whimpering* This is taking a lot longer than I expected.
- OK still not done. Dear God, am I ever going to finish?
- I’m DONE. Really? Done??
- *super silly happy dancing*
- Holy crap that was bad (now that I’ve re-read it). What a mess!
- Edit. I think it’s a little better.
- Edit. I really hope it’s better.
- Edit. I have no idea if it’s better. P.S. I’m really getting sick of this story.
- Beta readers please do your magic! *idly daydreaming that they’ll all love it and gush over it*
- Daydreams trampled into unidentifiable brown sludge. OK maybe it was as bad as I secretly worried.
- But some people liked it? AHHH I’m so confused! Now what?
- That settles it. I’m not going to look at you for a while, you soul crushing, time eating, waste of paper.
- But I miss you. Damned if all that work was for nothing. I need to do one more round.
- The feedback kinda makes sense now. I’m so embarrassed I sent that out. What was I thinking? It wasn’t anywhere near ready.
- Am I done yet? No? *resigned sigh*
- Still not done. I’m really getting sick of you.
- Done… for now. This time I’m not dancing. I just want to move on to the next thing, please?
Oh no, you foolish child, you’re not really done yet.
- Wait, that’s right. I need to try and sell it now? I suppose that means I need to figure out what a query letter is, figure out proper formatting, how submissions work, and all that jazz. This is not exactly the kind of thing I’ve ever done before.
- Apparently I have no idea how to write a query. The query letter is supposed to give an idea of the quality of your writing? AHHH *cries* that means I’m the worst writer ever!
- I have no idea anymore. *insert increasing paranoia* Let me try another version. No one’s even looked at the story yet.
- Good. Bad. I am not going to worry about it. I have achieved zen. Keeping at it.
So I don’t really have many writing updates for you these days. I’ve been doing a ton of beta reading and I’ll have a bit more to say about that when I’m done.
What have you been up to writing wise? Any of this sound familiar?